After more than a decade in Tollywood, hero Gopichand is now trying to stabilise his position with his new flick called ‘Sahasam’, which is slated for release today. Starting his career as a hero with the film ‘Toli Valapu’, he unfortunately failed to create any impact. Later, he shifted to negative roles in films like ‘Jayam’, ‘Nijam’ and ‘Varsham’. He was noticed for his performances in these films. He came back as a hero with ‘Yagnam’, and from then there has been no looking back for this well-built hero. But during the last couple of years, all his films have been box office duds. Now he believes that he will be back with a bang with ‘Sahasam’ and pins lots of hopes on this film. In a chat, he talks of the new film and his plans for the future:
Keeping your fingers crossed on ‘Sahasam’?
Yes, we have done lots of hard work. The subject is novel, the presentation is very good and moreover, the film has all the commercial aspects that should make it go well in the box office. We all are very happy the way the film has shaped and all of us are hoping it will click.
Since many of your previous films didn't do well, ‘Sahasam’ is one film which you are banking on. Can you tell why it is so special?
‘Sahasam’ is an adventure film. It is not experimental stuff. It has all the elements that will make it a commercial success. What is special about this film is that it is presented in a genre which is rarely dealt in Telugu industry. The film is like an Indiana Jones adventure. I am sure people will enjoy every moment of the film.
Your earlier outing with director Chandrasekhar Yeleti, ‘Okkadunnadu’ was not a big success. Then why did you opt for yet another film with him?
Yeleti is a different filmmaker in Tollywood. He believes that the audience has to be given some food for thought, apart from providing wholesome entertainment. This is something which I like in him. Moreover, our earlier film ‘Okkadunnadu’ did well and was very well appreciated for its content and presentation. My acting skills were recognised in that film. Yet again, Yeleti came up with a unique subject and we are sure of his presentation abilities, so I think it is the right choice to be part of this wonderful film.
But didn’t it (making of ‘Sahasam’) take more time than anticipated?
Yes. When we started off, it was planned for winding up in six months. But it has been more than a year. The reason for the delay is that we wanted to come up with a perfect film, not a pretentious product. Every care has been taken for minor details in the film. Special effects are another thing which delayed the complete process. All these are very important for the film. All I can say is that the film will look a lot grander and bigger than it is supposed to be. For the money we spent, the look and feel of the film is simply superb.
Is there a Pakistani connection to the film?
Yes, the hero has some property disputes and some assets are in Pakistan. So he goes to Pakistan in search of something. The story is set in the Pakistan border areas. We shot those portions in Ladakh, as it is easy to replicate the landscape and the conditions of Pakistan.
How has it been shooting in Ladakh?
It is a wonderful place and a cameraman’s delight. This will be visible in ‘Sahasam’ also. Our cameraman Shyam Datt simply freaked out in the location. All said and done it was very tough working there. By far, this is the toughest film that I have worked in. Physically, this is the most demanding film. I learnt horse riding for 20 days in order to shoot a few scenes. Shooting in Ladakh was also tough due to the thin air in high altitudes.
Was Tapasee a deliberate choice?
Yes, our director insisted that he cast Tapasee for the role. She has done the job very well and she will be remembered for her acting skills in this movie. Moreover, there are only two songs which are very situational and emotional. This means the film is based on story and abilities to perform rightly at the given situation. I think Tapasee has done full justice. I had earlier worked with Tapasee in Mogudu also.
During the tough times, you tried out different options from mass action roles to cool romantic roles like ‘Mogudu’? Did you want to get an image changeover?
To an extent, yes. I had been doing only action-oriented films like Golimar, Wanted, Shankam, etc. So I thought I should cater to a larger section and do a feel-good film. So I opted for Mogudu. Obviously, we all know about Krishna Vamshi and he is capable of doing something great. I thought this will bring me out of the action hero image, but unfortunately it bombed drastically leaving me high and dry. I made decisions which might have been wrong, but I have learnt from those mistakes and will hopefully be wiser in future!
What are your upcoming projects?
I will be doing a film with veteran director B Gopal, and this will followed by Deva Katta’s film. Both these subjects are interesting and I am very optimistic about them.
Wishing you the best for ‘Sahasam’, as well as your newly married life…
Thanks… yes, married life is very different and I am presently enjoying it.
















0 comments