Just over a decade ago, a shot at the movie industry was nearly impossible. Hopefuls had to throng the doors of producers, directors and celebrity photographers and after maybe years of struggle in the big cities, a chance would finally arrive. Now though, opportunity is literally an opportunity is literally an upload away for hundreds of youngsters in the state, Tollywood... for the first time, is not far away. Take the case of Chandini Chowdary, just a few short films old and with over 57,000 likes on Facebook, a number she accumulated over just seven months, beating even mainstream stars in terms of active fan following.
Chowdary was spotted by producers from Tollywood. “Social media has become a big platform for youngsters like me. It's a great place to get noticed and not just Tollywood, I was even approached by Bollywood, Kollywood and Sandalwood. Unfortunately, I was not able to make it to the auditions because of college. But I am in talks with a couple of directors and hope fully, shooting will commence soon," says Chowdary .
So, how does this work? How has it become so easy find big fame? Simple, the vergence of photography and hyperfast ‘word of mouth’ means both concept and evidence of talent are conveyed to those hunting for fresh faces and skills.
Take the famous case of Vizag’s Sruthi... aka Jenny Honey on Facebook and a YRF hopeful. Soon after winning the 1st runner-up place in Miss Vizag last year, Jenny was flooded with offers.
“During the Miss Vizag fashion event, there were some people from the Tollywood who approached me. But the real change came after they noticed me on Facebook. I’ve also acted in five short films. Just recently, I did a demo video with actor Adi, who again spotted me through Facebook. That video will be sent to Yash Raj Films,” reveals Jenny.
Also, it’s not just the girls who are striking it big. Actor Raj Tarun recently completed his debut project with producer Ram Mohan of Ashta Chamma fame and Raj gives all credits to social media websites, through which he bagged the offer.
“I immediately upload all my work on Facebook and after seeing that, producer Ram got in touch with me and asked me to meet him. I was interested in direction and was taken in as an assistant director. But, it surprised me when he asked me to audition for the lead role in an upcoming movie. According to me, social media has just slashed the gap between youngsters and the industry,” maintains Raj.
And there’s the omnipresent YouTube, beaming shortfilms and small video projects from small towns to the world.
Subash Chandra, who has 98 short films under his cap, is a young director who has been approached by names from Tollywood. He says, “Looking at my short films on YouTube, I was given an assistant director’s role in Tollywood. I don’t even have formal training in filmmaking. The only medium which has brought me this far is YouTube and Facebook.” But like the universal truth, everything good has a bad side too.
Aschlesa (name changed on request) went through a rather bitter experience on Facebook.
“I was approached on Facebook by this ‘director’s agent’ who asked me to send some pictures to him. Later on, he said the clothes need to be a bit skimpy and after I had my doubts, I was able to determine that his Facebook account was fake. Now, I don’t believe in “offers” through social media much.” But producer Neelima Tirumalasetti, who actually hired her cast for Alias Janaki through Facebook remains optimistic.
“Digital media has made our jobs easy. We are able to spot, judge and find the perfect match for the roles in our films,” she says.



















0 comments